This Tuesday, June 19, 2012, a day which will live in the minds of those who participate, maybe forever, is the annual Canal COP Summer Solstice Assault on Revenge Mountain. Started years ago maybe by Brad the Dentist, this is an annual favorite that gets bigger every year. How big you ask? Steve O has an authentic and very desirable jersey from Jackson Insurance for the person who first reaches the summit of Revenge and who departs at 6:00pm with the A, A/B group (this is not a gag gift but the real thing even though I've never heard of the company). I will be at the summit to take an image of the first couple of cyclists who crest for verification.
It's going to be hot (94) and humid on Tuesday so the route goes through Amanda, where you may want to stop at the market to refill your bottles at mile 18. If by then you aren't feeling too good, you can always take the 35 mile option and ditch the concept of riding up Revenge and 51 miles. Then, Steve O will have a yet to be determined prize for the winner of the Canal sign sprint on the return. Probably there will be regrouping after Revenge so to add some gapping interest, there is the climb on Slough about 3 miles from the finish. So, to summarize:
1. All are welcome whether a COP member or not. If not a member, what's holding you back for like $15 a year you receive a monthly newsletter.
2. Official "A" group, "A/B" group departs at 6:00pm.
3. "B" group, led by Flyin Tuna depart at 5:30pm.
4. Super Senior group led by Poobah departs at 5:35pm.
5. There is an optional group of "C" cyclists leaving at 5:00pm.
6. My start time to get to top of Revenge and also stopping at market to refresh, probably around noon.
7. Or, you can depart whenever you want as I'll be there by 5:00 to sign you in with Mark C taking over sign-up at 5:30.
YES, I know I misspelled Assault on the map!
6/18/2012 05:38:32 am
Mark, here is a link to your course in MapMyRide: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/104204437
6/18/2012 05:53:17 am
Well Paul, that was really dumb of me and I've already made 60 map copies. We'll hang a right on Amanda Northern off Marcy and then make a left on Slough. Thanks for letting me know.
6/18/2012 06:55:30 am
6/18/2012 06:48:36 am
Steve Hewitt and I came up with the idea. In the "early years" we even had Shade Restaurant (several owners ago) serve up a buffett dinner after the ride.
6/19/2012 01:44:18 pm
We had about 4 people who left at 5:10PM. Just about EVERYBODY got back before us in spite of shaving 2 miles off the route and still doing Revenge.
Leave a Reply.