We hit the first ramp and I clung to the front group, hit the 2nd ramp, the 3rd ramp and how many other freakin ramps are on that climb and emerged at the top still with what was now a group of 12. I was too tired to enjoy the accomplishment and the group wasn't about to pause to allow me a moment to enjoy, as we sped out Hollow and reached the stop sign at #310. Here, Kyle alerted me to some sketchy riding, including running stop signs and upon hearing this, Garth hopped off the road down an embankment into someone's yard, crossed the grass and hopped back onto the road. I made a mental note to present him with a COP "Black Card" at some point in the future.
A quick turn back on to Hollow and the pace picked back up where we were at 23.9mpg average but rising. Turns took us on to York, Weslyn Church and then Outville where we bombed the descent to Moots Road, turning left and then in to Granville where our average was 24.1. No pause here as a turn on to Raccoon Valley followed and we made our way to Hardscrabble. Upon turning, I discovered the surface had just been chip-n-sealed with lots of loose gravel on the opening ramp. I lost contact with the group but suspected that was going to happen anyway at some point on this long uphill road, with or without loose gravel, so chugged along with Claude out to Northridge, where he had to stop to adjust his saddle bag. So, 22 miles with the lead group and a 23.9 avg, that was sure to plummet and it did, but limped in with 42 miles and a 21mph average with 1400' of climbing. The lead group finished with a 23.5 avg.
1. No smoking except in designated areas, all of which are winin 2 feet of Poobah's Element.
2. No swearing or cursing at me before or during the ride but if at others or at oneself, that is OK.
3. No injecting oneself with PEDs prior to the ride, at least where I can see you do it.
4. No changing from street clothes to cycling clothing in one's car.
5. Throwing cash at the feet of a ride leader is permitted just this one Thursday.
6. Buying a round or two of drinks to celebrate ride leaders is permitted after the ride at any restaurant which serves alcoholic beverages. This offer expires prior to next Thursday when Shannon probably will be back although I encouraged him to take the rest of the season off, at least from the front 1/3 of the pack.