The Cycling Club's Annual Meeting/Social event was held at the Mellow Mushroom on Tuesday, December 12th. The event was well attended by 30 of your fellow cyclists. As I was out of town and no private plane was sent for me, I regret not having any images to share of the drunken rowdiness. Below is a summary of what was presented.
1. The Thursday evening ride will continue as before with Rivet, A, B & C groups departing at or around 6:00pm. We will no longer organize volunteer ride leaders for the Rivet and A groups as these groups are largely comprised of experienced cyclists who understand the rules of the road, bike handling safety, exiting the parking lot, etc... We will continue to have ride leaders for the B group, which will have one or two departing groups depending on the number of participants. We will have a ride leader designated for what we intend to be at least one C group and hopefully another as we ramp up efforts to recruit beginning cyclists (more on that below).
2. The Tuesday evening ride will continue to be a B/B+ paced group ride with additional route options to add variety to the rides and take advantage of changes in available ride time.
3. There will be a Saturday morning ride throughout the season, start time dependent upon changes in temperature.
4. All Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday routes will be available on the Cycling Club's web site, prior to the start of the cycling season and via our Facebook page prior to each ride.
5. Feedback from participating cyclists has led us to de-emphasize departures/arrivals via St. Rt. 161 and emphasize alternatives, which will be reflected in the 2018 routes.
6. The Club will create an attractive, 4 color flyer that will be available at area bike shops, the purpose of which is to recruit participants to our club rides and attract new cyclists. We will continue to work with Geoff at Veloscience, who has been very generous with his time and donations to the Club. Geoff will continue to assist our efforts at recruiting cyclists.
7. Mellow Mushroom will host us for an occasional post ride gathering where food and drink will be available at a discount while we talk about whatever it is we usually discuss post ride. The difference is now we can consume calories while talking and further enjoy the camaraderie.
8. Cycling Club logoed kits, jerseys, bibs, arm warmers, leg warmers, jackets and vests will be available to test fit and order. The jerseys and kits will be offered in "race" fit and "standard" fit at competitive price points. An inventory of standard fit jerseys and kits will be available for ordering throughout the year or until the inventory is depleted.
9. Beginning early in 2018, the Club's Facebook page and website will be visible to members who have paid the $20 fee to join the club. The website is undergoing a reconstruction for 2018. Given the benefits listed above, with more coming, the value is evident for those who become members.
10. More information to come soon for activating your membership and to test fitting the clothing.
Your feedback is welcome and we look forward to sharing the new routes, club kits and everything else that the Cycling Club has to offer for 2018. For the modest amount of $20, we are able to cover costs that include insurance, web design, overhead and the other expenses associated with running a club.