There it is, about .2 of a mile but steep in places, hitting 18%. From the event organizer, below are additional details for this Friday's event. Starting at 5:00pm and ending at 8:00pm. I have asked Mike Cauley, former nationally ranked distance runner, to do repeats up and down the hill while in his customized white mankini. The start point is at the first goal post, below.
Just five days from the inaugural Alpe d'Denison Hillclimb Challenge -- a short, sweet, lung busting, leg burning, gut checking sprint (on a bike) up Ebaugh Hill on the back side of Denison University!
Some of you have asked for details:
- How do I get there? Use the East Gate entrance into Denison University (off North Pearl Street/SR 661) and follow signs. Participants will turn right on Ebaugh Drive and park in a lot on the left. You'll be directed from there to the registration tent and start line.
Spectators will continue up Washington Drive to a parking lot near the top of the hill on the right. Spectators are encouraged to bring their cowbells, other noise-makers! (And if you're in true Alpe d'Huez spirit, costume up!)
- Where are the start and finish lines? The start is near the first goalpost as you ride toward the hill from the parking lot on Ebaugh Drive. The finish is at the crosswalk on the top level of the parking lot that's at the top of the hill. Both are marked with yellow duct tape on the road (unless the rain washes it away) for those of you who want to take a few practice runs this week! It's about 400 meters of pure uphill fun!
- Can I pay with a credit card? Sorry, no. We will only be able to accept cash.
- Are there age groups? Yes. They are: Under 40; 40-49; and 50 and over. Prizes in each category for both men and women.
- When does the after-party start? You're welcome to head down to Moe's whenever you're done hillclimbing (or spectating!); the door is open early! We'll shut down the Hillclimb when the last rider has taken his or her shot at it, and head directly to Moe's. There will be a karaoke contest (bring friends to vote for you; $1=1 vote!), great raffle prizes, a 50/50 raffle, and Homestead beers on tap. Everyone is welcome at the after-party!
The distance ends at this crosswalk. May be a wild scene with spectators lining the road, people wearing themed outfits, cowbells. Should be fun.